Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Interview with Chuck Jones

We've asked different members of the DAC community to ask the artists in our current show "Information Economy" a question or two. First up, intern Justine interrogates Chuck Jones about his video More Enough is More Enough:


Justine: Where do you think the internet and art intersect?
Chuck: Art is a form of communication and the internet is a tool for communication. That's my short answer. I guess the video is my long answer.

Justine: How was the sound that accompanies the photo montage created?

Chuck: As for the audio. I had a bed of audio that was songs in my mp3 collection that were the exact length of the video, 5 minutes and 54 seconds. There were about 30 and I edited it down to 15 or so. I got rid of the ones that announced their presence too enthusiastically. I thought that would be enough and I was wrong. So I mixed these songs so the volumes jumped up and down a bunch so each one had a time to shine. This was still not enough. So I added all of my stolen synth sounds. While this was more fun it was still bad. Okay.
How about adding the audio from two different videos from Juicy Star on youtube? She's the teenager who talks really fast as she shows you what she bought while shopping or how her room is newly redecorated, or makeup tips. I have a friend for works for Google and he told me that she gets a ton of money from the ads that play during these videos as in tens of thousands of dollars. I put one Juicy Star in each channel. I faded her out, faded the drums in and added a live version of "Slip It In" by Black Flag. Now it's better. At least it's better if you play it really really loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment