Thursday, February 17, 2011

Enid Baxter Blader "Fort Ord" Micro-Interview

Justine interviews Enid Baxter Blader about her video Fort Ord in "Information Economy."


DAC: How did you hear of the military base?

Enid
: I work as the chair of the film department at CSU Monterey Bay. CSU Monterey occupies a portion of the repurposed Fort Ord. My office is in what was formerly a Vietnam-War era Army chapel. My classroom is in what was once a Korean War Era mess hall. Our university is dedicated to educating under served populations. Most of my students are the first person in their families to go to college. Many are descendents of the young people drafted to serve on Fort Ord.


DAC: How long were you on be base? Did you stay overnight?

Enid: I am on the base almost every work day and have been for the past 5 years. I live about 20 minutes from the boundary of the former Fort Ord. The other people who worked on the film, including D.P. Nick Kova, lived on the base for several years in repurposed military housing. Currently I am working on a feature film about Fort Ord and a few of the soldiers who painted the murals appear in the film.

DAC: Why do you think people find abandoned buildings and ghost towns so scary?


Enid
: Making the film I was only scared of two things: Falling into a pit in the pitch dark or disturbing some angry tweaker. I think people find ghost towns sublime. They testify that we are all temporary and time's passage is heavy. The ghosts in my film are metaphors.

No comments:

Post a Comment